SEE YOU IN DECEMBER 2019!
FREE for all ages!
South Mountain Environmental Education Center
We light up the darkest night of the year, the Winter Solstice, with a beautiful one-mile luminaria walk along our Judith Tunell sidewalk trail, featuring artwork from local youth, businesses and artists.
As you wander among the luminarias, enjoy local musicians, food trucks, our Make & Take Market and last-minute gift shopping from local artisans.
Make & Take Market:* Stop by our Make & Take Market for exciting, nature and science-based “make & take” activities and crafts. Learn about the desert while making!
*This area does include a fee of $3 per participant to cover materials.
Collaborative Art Projects: Make your mark at the mountain by contributing to one of two collaborative projects designed and facilitated by local artists.
Desert Prints: Capture your love of the desert by making a clay tile with an impression of a desert object. These tiles will be used to decorate SMEEC after the event and you can make a second one to take home as well. Led by local artist Lisa Bernal Brethour
Community Mural: Help us celebrate our love of the desert by contributing to a mural at SMEEC. Artist Venessa Chavez will creating a mural based upon community members’ answers to the question, “What do you love about the desert?” Visit us on Facebook to share your answer to the question.
- Uniquely U Jewelry & Babykakes 2: Unique, one-of-a-kind pieces of jewelry (vintage, hand blown glass, silverware & custom) and diaper cakes for new moms
- Cactus Creations: Natural planters and artwork made from cholla and saguaro and decorated with interesting stones, feathers, and plant materials
- Cotton Wood Creek Products: Flax seed heat packs, soap, lava bead jewelry, wine bottle art, this & that flowers, photos & frames.
- Feather Heart Studio: Metalsmith jewelry, mixed metal jewelry, PMC jewelry, small bottles with recycled jewelry
- Crown Creations: Uniquely embellished, one-of-a-kind womens’ hats and fascinators.
- Moondanz Creationz: Crocheted hats, scarves and shawls
- AVT Sales: Hand-crafted pens
- Holistic Earth Remedies: Natural products for health and wellness
- Lisa Quinonez-Morales: Small folk art pieces with a South Mountain/Sonoran Desert theme including: cards, notepads, key chains, pens and jewelry.
- Raven’s Head Woodturning: Turned bowls, platters, and various small kitchen items from wood that is found locally as well as exotic woods from Africa and South America.
- Small-Tooth-Dog Publishing Group: Small art projects and children’s books
- CuriosCT Artisan Jewelry: Hand-crafted artisan jewelry emphasizing natural stone and inspired by Arizona geology/cultures.
Plus more to come!
- The Griffins: The Griffins are an exciting acoustic guitar/vocal duo performing a variety of hit songs from all modern eras.
- Drumming Sounds: Join Drumming Sounds for the “Little Drummer Experience” as we make fun recreational music sing songs and create community. Drumming Sounds provides drums and other percussion instruments and facilitates a space where Little Drummers of all ages will have fun and appreciate the feeling of being in community.
- Chandler Symphony Chamber Players: The Chandler Symphony Orchestra Chamber Players includes instrumentalists from the Chandler Symphony Orchestra, which has provided 25 enjoyable years of high-quality music performances in the community. The Chamber players continue that tradition with a variety of instrumentalists playing your Holiday favorites.
- Harmony Project Phoenix, Mariachi Players: Harmony Project Phoenix is an evidence-based afterschool mentoring program that uses music as a means for positive youth development and social inclusion. We build orchestras, bands, and choirs in low-income communities with the vision in mind that each participant will become a productive, responsible and caring citizen.
- South Mountain Storytelling Institute: Relax around the campfire with desert stories from expert storytellers of the South Mountain Storytelling Institute who have been telling stories and helping others find their own voices for over 20 years in the South Mountain community.
Thank you to our Sponsors!
Maracay Homes | Phoenix Zoo Auxiliary | expresspros.com/phoenixsw
businesssolutionsforgrowth.com | Laveen Community Council | Bert and Janice Castro
Rose and Harry Papp | Yvonne and Steve Betts | Jean and Barry Bingham
Volunteer for Aglow
Interested in giving back? We’re looking for volunteers to help set up and clean up the event. Our biggest need is for clean-up. To inquire about volunteering send us a note through our contact us page.